Newburgh Mill

Henry Ford purchased the old Newburgh Cider Mill in 1933 and razed the existing structure to construct a new building on the site in 1935. Local farmers and Rouge Plant workers were employed to build the new plant, which specialized in the production of twist drills and drill bits.

Ford Motor Company sold the Newburgh Mill facility to the Wayne County Road Commission in 1948. It was used for decades by the Road Commission's Forest Division and later became home to the Wayne County Sheriff's mounted division.

Wayne County, in conjunction with local stakeholders and community leaders, identified a rehabilition plan for Newburgh Mill presented by Newburg Mill LLC that will reactivate the site and celebrate its history through public interpretive space.The sale of the property and the Newburg Mill LLC plan was approved by the Wayne County Commission in November 2019.

The mill itself will be redeveloped in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. Additionally, this development will better connect Newburgh Mill's green space with Hines Park trails and facilities and create new access points to the neighboring lake that has been historically blocked from public use. Newburgh Mill as it looked in December 2018.

Artist's rendering of rehabilitated Newburgh Mill and property, based on a pending proposal from Newburg Mill, LLC.

Categories: #Mills
<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing:">Load Comment Text</span>